Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 62: Djembe

Djembe:  A djembe is a goblet-shaped hand drum that originated among the Manding people of West Africa. Djembes, because of their shape, are capable of producing a range of tones and sounds. Generally, djembes are made of wood, with an animal skin stretched over the top. Djembes are extremely popular in the drum-circle culture of North America and Europe.

The "mandala" today is something I will bring into my summer fun, along side my mandala-making project.  I just bought this very Djembe drum tonight at Ellis Drum Shop.  I connected with a former student (the sales person) from long, long ago and accepted his gracious encouragement, clear knowledge of the drum, and his kindness.  This drum is a circular experience, in so many ways!  This drum brought me back to a very wonderful time in life, and a great connection with a student and his family.  This drum will bring me into a new community at the Women's Drum Center, as I begin to take a few classes.  The centering nature of drumming will remind me of my own center and grounded-ness, despite the storms, just as the mandala-making process has calmed my spirit.  Bass. Tone. Slap.  Bass. Tone. Slap.  I am finding the rhythms that beat within, and working to not be thrown off beat along the way.


No comments: