Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 44: Exploration

Exploration:  1. the act or process of exploring
2. an organized trip into unfamiliar regions; expedition.

I actually made this mandala (my first one ever) 2-3 years ago.  My friend, Georgia and I had gathered some friends together for an "art-making" day.  We invited another friend, Nancy, to teach us about Mandalas, and walk us through the creation process.  This is what I created.  I have saved it for these last several years.  Today, it comes in handy (as I didn't have the energy tonight to start from scratch). 

The word "Exploration"  is perfect, as this mandala was just that - an exploration into unknown, unchartered territory.  I actually can't believe it has taken me these last 2-3 years to come back to the mandala-making process.  I loved the experience of creating this one, my first one. Why did I let it go?  

Now, as I play with the mandala a day project,  I am trying to view my daily life through the mandala, as well as through the "word lenses" reflected in my mandala process.  Life is, indeed, an exploration.  Sometimes, the unfamiliar regions are emotional -- other times, more intellectual -- other times, more relational.  If I can live my life with the attitude of an explorer, excited or at least curious (instead of afraid) to see what is coming around the next corner, I will better off.  If I can see this life as I see my mandala-making process, one of permission, acceptance -- I will be better off.  I love the metaphors at my disposal in this project.  The mandalas and the mandala-making process are holding my hand right now.  A comforting companion as I explore this life. 

No comments: