Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 60: Scar

Scar:   1. A mark left on the skin after a surface injury or wound has healed. 2. A lingering sign of damage or injury, either mental or physical; 3. A mark, such as a dent, resulting from use or contact. 4. To leave lasting signs of damage on.


After this recent surgery (my first and only surgery since I was a little girl with a broken thumb), I have acquired 3 more scars.  Laparoscopic surgery left a trail of three short lines on my belly.  Reminders, lasting signs of the healing taking place after the surgical repair of my insides.  


It's funny to me that since I have only had surgery one time so long ago in childhood, I haven't thought much of my life's physical scars.  I usually am thinking in terms of emotional scars.  These, I have plenty of.  There is something interesting about the physical form of scars. There is something oddly comforting to me about the physical nature of scars -- they are tangible, concrete, real, indisputable.  Emotional scars, sadly, less so.  This mandala, with its red and black sharp edges, is a tangible honoring of my internal and emotional scars, acknowledging the truth of their existence.  I see you. 

No comments: