Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 11: Uncertain

Uncertain:  1. lacking or indicating lack of confidence or assurance; "uncertain of her convictions"; "unsure of herself and her future"; 2. not established beyond doubt; still undecided or unknown; "an uncertain future"; "a manuscript of uncertain origin"; 3. changeable: subject to change; "a changeable climate"; 


As I worked on this mandala, I fell quickly in love with the frame I created, first with the violet circle, then, the red tips that circled around the outside edge.  It looked so satisfying to me, so solid, so crisp.  For the first time, I experimented with a bit of shading and gradation in the red.  I liked it.


But, immediately, I was paralyzed as to how to move forward.  "What next?  Could I leave it as is, so plain, and without color within the circle?"  I was definitely un-certain.  I didn't want to wreck what felt so good to me.  I didn't want to risk screwing it up.  At the same time, I felt compelled to add more color.  I believed that somehow, it was more important to complete the inside of the circle, either with shapes or color, than to leave it so pristine and white in the center. I proceeded, and immediately regretted it. I don't like this outcome,  but I can live with it.  


This whole thing is an experiment.  I have done very little reading about Mandalas so far, as I have not had a ton of free time to really start studying.  I know there aren't any "right" answers, per se.  But, I'm guessing there are some decent guidelines that I could benefit from knowing.  I'm anxious to learn about color, their meaning, and how pairing colors has a certain effect. I'm excited to explore the many symbols and symbolism within the world of mandalas. But, at this point, I remain uncertain about how to proceed in this world of mandalas.  But, still, I step forward and risk making a mistake (or at least an aesthetic mistake in my view).  Still, I proceed.  The risk of NOT proceeding is its own loss.  Onward. 

No comments: