Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 8: Medicine Wheel

I love how simple this mandala feels. Peaceful.

In this blog, my process is as follows: 1.  I create my mandala.  2.  I wait for a word or two to emerge as I color.  3.  I do a basic and quick google definition search for the words that emerged & I usually go with the first definition or information I see.  4.  I journal here, offering my own connection, view in relation to the image, the process, the definition/words.

Today, I have included the full paragraph below of  what I found when I searched "Medicine Wheel". It suits my heart quite nicely.  This mandala is my reminder of the quote toward the end of this commentary:  "As you think, so it is".  So, this mandala is to ask myself,  "How do/will I think, today?"  "Do I have the courage to really look and see what is mirrored back to me today?"

Medicine Wheel: * from:  http://www.shannonthunderbird.com/medicine_wheel_teachings.htm   
The Medicine Wheel has been adopted by most First Nations people as a universal symbol of healing, interconnectedness and a holistic foundation of peaceful interaction and personal growth. The teachings mirror your life and it sometimes requires courage to look and really see what is being reflected back to you because some experiences are painful, while others joyful and reflective. However, it is ultimately facing it all that makes you a stronger and better person. In the tribes, my Ancestors were encouraged to think and walk in a positive way, for if they were angry, remorseful, and bitter, their earth walk would reflect that negativity. Traditional Hawaiian’s have a saying, "As you think so it is." In other words, if you believe that you are a worthy person, then you are. If you believe that you do not matter in the Universe, then you won’t. Greet every day with sacred honour songs and prayers because life is a fleeting thing.  

No comments: