Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 7: Experiment gone Awry!

Experiment: 1. to operate by test or trial 2. an act or operation undertaken in order to discover some unknown principle or effect
Awry: 1. in a turned or twisted position or direction; 2. off the correct or expected course

So, it seemed to me, that at some point, the experiment of this particular mandala went awry.   I don't like this one -- at all.  It did not take the expected course. But, I remembered, after all, - this is an experiment.  The "What if" game.  As in, "What if I add new shapes, beyond the circle?  What if use only 2 colors?"  In this case, it might bring a sense of pleasure to someone else, even if not myself. This experiment brought me back to what I'm beginning to expect as my "mandala -a-day reminder".

Again, the Mandala a Day project reminds me of the notion of having a curious mind as my days unfold.  Instead of waking to plan my day, step by step (in a clear effort to feel that illusion of control) -- what if I ask myself, "hmm.  I wonder what today will bring?  I wonder if I'll meet anyone new?  I wonder what surprises are in store for me today?  I wonder whose day I can make easier or happier?" 

This mandala will be my reminder to make each day an experiment in carrying my sense of curiosity first, and give my worries a vacation.

No comments: