Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 2: Imperfection

Definition:
Imperfection: The state of being imperfect.  Defective.

Ouch. Harsh.

As I worked on this mandala, it quickly evolved with imperfect circles.  The cardboard toilet paper roll I was using to draw the small circles bent unexpectedly and moved as I pressed the colored pencil against the side of it.  Circles looked a bit more oblong, than circular.  "Oh well", I thought.  "Imperfect".

"Oh well?"  What an unusual answer for me. More likely and often, I'm hard on myself, harsh with my self-talk.  Recently, as I lamented some work struggles to the ever present therapist, she exclaimed at one point in the session, "And so what if you are not an A+++++ at everything you do?  So What?

In yoga, and with this mandala project, I easily allow for the beauty and surprise that emerges from the unexpected, from the mistake, from the imperfect moment.  Can I learn to allow for this same freedom and kind self-talk as this spring unfolds in my work life, with all the undoubted unexpected situations and imperfections that will occur?

I accept this mandala's message and encouragement to bring my welcoming and kind self-talk present in this daily activity, into my daily life at work.  Onward!

No comments: